This Labor Day, we celebrate the dogs who are just doing their jobs
According to the US Department of Labor, Labor Day is “a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.” To celebrate this day that honors productivity and hard work, many of us will spend the weekend vacationing on the water, grilling in the backyard with friends, or spending quality time with our families. Others–the true Labor Day heroes–will work through the holiday keeping critical services open and life as we know it running smoothly.
Working dogs pull their weight…and more
Not all Labor Day heroes walk on two legs. This year, we thought we’d offer a tribute to all the working dogs out there. Because you don’t have to be human to work hard and contribute to the American Dream! In its classification of canines, the American Kennel Club defines the Working Group as:
“Quick to learn, …intelligent, strong, watchful, and alert. Bred to assist man, they excel at jobs such as guarding property, pulling sleds and performing water rescues. Doberman Pinschers, Siberian Huskies and Great Danes are part of this Group, to name just a few.”https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/working/
Breeds such as Saint Bernards and Newfoundlands have historically been bred as search and rescue dogs. If you’ve ever seen a Newfoundland powerfully swimming through icy waters to rescue someone, you know these dogs are working in the truest sense of the word.
Don’t discount the Herding Group
In 1983, the AKC separated dogs with “the fabulous ability to control the movement of other animals” out of the Working Dog group–creating the Herding Group. Shepherds, Sheep Dogs, and other types of herding dogs have been working for centuries in pastures and fields around the world, keeping their flocks safe and moving them from place to place. The work they do is both functional and awe inspiring, especially when seen from above. Add some LED jackets, and you’ve got a light show to rival the best Christmas Light Fight spectacle!
You don’t need a pedigree to do your job well
Although Working and Herding Group dogs were specifically bred to be productive, almost any dog can be a working dog with the right training and setting. From military dogs like Sergeant Stubby to dogs that assist the blind, dogs are working every day around the world to make our lives better. And when it comes to working, dogs keep learning new tricks! Here are five fascinating and inspiring “dog jobs” to celebrate this Labor Day weekend:
- Cancer Detector – Dogs can use their keen sense of smell to detect cancer with great accuracy. Many medical researchers are investigating the ways dogs can sniff out cancer in a patient’s blood, skin, and more.
- Seizure Assistant – For people with seizure disorders such as epilepsy, a specially trained service dog can change their lives. These dogs can sense a seizure before it comes on, alerting their owners to the impending episode and assisting during and after the seizure.
- Skydiving Poaching Police – Highly trained skydiving dogs work to catch wildlife poachers in Africa!
- Whale Finder – Killer whale researchers in the Puget Sound are using dogs to find whale poop, which gives them valuable insight into the health and habits of the endangered species.
- Truffle Detective – If your taste runs to the gourmet and you enjoy the earthy flavor of a truffle, you might need to thank a pup for your delicacies! Highly trained dogs can sniff out the underground mushrooms near the roots of trees across North American and Europe.
Working dogs deserve the best of care
If you spend much time with dogs, you know that they are amazing creatures with skills and talents that go far beyond fetching and rolling over on command. Some of them are working just as hard as their human counterparts! Like humans, dogs can develop inflammation, osteoarthritis, and other health problems as they age. If you’re looking for an organic health and wellness supplement for your pet, consider ABSC Pure Organic CBD Oil™. It’s the only veterinary CBD Oil that’s been tested for safety and efficacy in clinical trials at a major university, so you can buy with confidence.
Happy Labor Day from everyone at ABSC Organics. Be well!